Thursday, July 24, 2008

No Bite Bite!

Just when I thought I’d mastered the art of breastfeeding, Tinka’s new pair of pearly whites emerge. Breastfeeding has definitely fostered the strong bond that we share. To be honest, we both have grown accustomed to her afternoon feedings and gain enjoyment from the experience-- she is nourished and comforted and I get quality time with her. While this milestone has brought so much joy, the celebration abruptly ended with the baring down of her adorable--yet sharp--pair of teeth, my screaming --“No bite bite Tinka!!”, and the flash of her adorable smile. Wow, who knew two little itty-bitty teeth could cause so much pain! Needless to say, my pain was short-lived when I saw those endearing eyes and that large smile. I’ve since learned to pay attention to the ‘clues’ that mark the end of a feeding. To begin with, usually when she initially removes her mouth that signals low milk supply and that she’s done. The benefits of breastmilk are countless: 1) the nutrients, 2) cost effectiveness, 3) mother-child bonding, 4) less frequent trips to the doctor (less days from work). My intention is to nurse up until her first birthday. I just hope I can hold up until then…..

No comments: