Monday, August 4, 2008

This book belongs to....

So, this weekend’s storytelling was on bugs. Creepy, I know. None of the young princesses who attended last weekend’s “Fancy Nancy” soiree returned this Saturday. Wonder why? The creepy crawly theme failed to keep Tinka’s attention. But, the event wasn’t a complete waste.

In my discussion of “Fancy Nancy” last week, I expressed my desire to see better ethnic diversity and representation in children literature and film. I guess the saying is true: You have not because you ask not! Thank God I asked because to my pleasant surprise, I discovered an interesting read. The book, featuring two young African American boys on its cover, was “You Can Do It!” by Tony Dungy. What a great find! I loved the illustration and theme. Linden, the main character and Tony’s younger brother, has issues finding his “it”. You know, his ”it”. All of his siblings seem to know what their hearts passions are except him. His dad gives him wise advice regarding the role of prayer in determining what his “it” (read:his desired career) will be. Linden especially enjoys making others smile and learned that dentist do as well. He is actually a dentist today. This book is recommended for readers 4 and up. This is definitely a great read with a great message.

No comments: