Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fit For a Princess

As I turned the corner, I was overwhelmed by a mix of bright pink and yellow party decorations streaming from shelf to shelf and the swarm of miniature “princesses” donning sparkly tiaras, oversized cosmetic jewelry and even elaborate princess costumes. Did I miss the memo? It's 2pm on Saturday, no one told me Barnes and Noble was hosting a girls-only birthday party. The crowd was abuzz, chatting anxiously until the guest of honor arrived. Who might that be you ask? “Fancy Nancy”. Again, you ask, Who might that be? She's the fictional character for whom a book series is based.

I consider myself to be “in the know” with all things girly. But, this, I admit, never once registered on my “girly girl” radar. Where have I been? How did I miss the book phenom that is known by an adjective describing her fashion sense and her first name? Thankfully, Tinka donned her pink and white striped outfit with matching pretty-in-pink shades or she would've really been underdressed. Anywho, I consider this my formal introduction into the land of “all things pretty”.

I was so taken aback by the festivities, I admit to not catching the storyline of the books that were read. However, I did learn that “Fancy Nancy's” creator is taking in a pretty penny from her huge following. Apparently, the tiaras, jewels and costumes are all a part of the “Fancy Nancy” brand which can be purchased at, none other than, destination affordable fashion, Tar-je' (That's Target for all my English speakers). In-te-res-ting.

I will reserve my opinion until I read several titles from the series. While I am all for “girl power”, I need to see better ethnic diversity and representation in children's literature, toys, programming, and movies. Anybody know where the Disney film “The Princess and the Frog” is in production? Until my next post, Au revoir!

No comments: